Vegan pancake recipes (and pancake recipes in general) can range from "yum!" to "ouch!" in our opinion... so we're always on the lookout for the best of the best. You might say this recipe took us a bit off-course in our search, as it's not technically your typical pancake recipe. However, being that we love cinnamon buns and pancakes and the recipe looked so very simple we thought, why not give it a go... and boy are we glad we did! (or not, depending on how you look at it - be wary - these not exactly a health food breakfast).
This recipe comes from Chef Chloe and Tasty Vegetarian. Find the full recipe + an easy-to-follow video here: https://tasty.co/recipe/cinnamon-roll-pancakes-with-chloe-coscarelli
Here are a few photos from our real-life cooking experience:
These would be fitting as a dessert-like snack or a brunch treat. Slicing them up into rectangular cinnamon pancake bites to be used with the cinnamon or vanilla icing as dipping sauces could be done as well - think Domino's cinnamon bread sticks or Auntie Anne's cinnamon pretzel bites... only homemade, vegan and cruelty-free. Oh yes, we love that.
A few of our recommendations and heads-ups for making this recipe:
- We would recommend cutting the vanilla icing recipe in half unless you want a WHOLE lot of icing. You could also use almond milk or other plant-based milk in place of the water at this part of the recipe for a richer icing.
- If you don't wish to use single use plastics like a plastic bag, you can utilizing a reusable pastry bag to add in your cinnamon swirl. We just dabbed a little on our pancake while it was cooking and lightly (key words lightly and gently) whisked it in and it worked just as well.
- We utilized a griddle pre-heated to 450 to cook our pancakes, flipping just when the first side started to show bubbling and the edges looked good.
- Don't pour your vegan pancake on the griddle too 'thick-ly' or you will risk too long a cook time / having it not fully cook in the middle.
- For a plant-based but palm oil free butter to use in your pancake recipe, you can look to Miyoko's brand.
- The 'cinnamon plant-based butter' portion of this recipe can stand alone as a decadent dipping sauce or spread.
- These stored great for us in the refrigerator for a couple of days!
BUCKS COUNTY Vegan
Exploring & sharing delicious veg' friendly foods in & around Bucks County PA. 🌱Bucks County Pennsylvania is centrally located between Philadelphia & NYC. ☕️Follow us on Instagram @buckscountyvegan. Twitter @BucksVegan.